Friday Update for Storm Preparations

First, the good news. I have all the windows and doors of my home covered with ¾” plywood. I am grateful I was able to buy plywood Tuesday. The heat index is 104 degrees, so I split up the project over yesterday and today. I finished hanging the last panel a few moments ago. I believe I am ready. The house is pitch black inside. I took off the panels to the glass door that goes out to my patio to let a little light in. I will screw those panels on tomorrow evening before I head to bed.

Now for the bad news. If you are following the track of the storm, you know the track has shifted to the west. This means the projected path of the storm will now come closer to us. We will likely have winds around 100 mph on Sunday. We are expecting the first bands of wind and rain Saturday afternoon. There is also a possibility of a storm surge. We will monitor all of this as the storm progresses.

The house should withstand the projected winds. The new roof was put on in 2010 to withstand winds up to 160 mph. The house is a concrete block structure, and now all the windows and glass door openings are fitted with ¾” plywood. I do have a pool screen enclosure. Here in Florida we call them pool cages. This is the only question mark to me. Most likely I will lose the screen panels. Hopefully we will not lose the structure itself.

At this point, I am planning to ride it out here. I have a friend who will be staying here as well. There are several families on my street who are staying. We will all look after one another.

My home is in evacuation Zone C. At this time evacuations have been issued for folks living in Zone A. These are homes on the barrier islands and in low lying areas. My home is only one mile to salt water as a crow flies. But my property is on one of the highest points in this area. That is good news!

We continue to carefully monitor the track of this storm. I will try to update as possible. I appreciate your prayers and concern.

If you are interested in our local broadcast, check out

I enjoy reading your comments. Feel free to write your thoughts below.


  • Denny & Carol on Sep 10, 2017 Reply


    We include you and your friend in our prayers…you have done what you can re: your home, which ultimately can be replaced. Praying our Almighty God, who can calm the storm & anything else for that matter, will protect you and your friend no matter where you are. As you continue to follow His leading may you feel His peace, comfort and strength for no matter what is ahead…and while you are now waiting it out put together a Plan B. We have found IF you have a Plan B, it is rarely that we need it–IF we don’t invariably we need it! We love you like a son, and would be saying the same thing to either of them should they be in your situation. Thank you for keeping us in your loop of communication. We love you & look forward to future times together!

    • Timothy Mark on Sep 13, 2017 Reply

      Denny and Carol, Somehow I missed your comment when it came through. I saw it today. Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate the prayers the most. As you know, I was spared the eye of the storm. So grateful. Saddened for all who are suffering so greatly today. Praying for them. Thank you for your love and friendship. I appreciate it.

Leave Reply